During the course we will show you how to handle the hens, plus how to maintain your eglu and hen houses (ours is nearly 15 years old and looking as good as new!) looking after the run (ours has survived having a horse sit on it!) plus our daily routines and health checks.
We also have a cube along with a selection of wooden hen houses. We have 25 resident hens at home a mixture of hybrids and pure breeds, aging from 6 months to 6 years old. During the school holidays the numbers swell to over 150 hens so plenty of hens to hug!
Some of the areas we cover during the course are:
- See an eglu and find out how it works
- Handle some chickens
- Eggs and laying
- Learn how to pick a suitable garden spot
- Daily care and maintenance requirements
- How to feed your chickens*
- Health and wellbeing and observation of looks and behaviour
- Wing clipping
- Have a chance to ask as many questions as you want over a cuppa and a slice of cake.
* The hosts of this course accept no responsibility for any loss or injury while on the premises. By booking on this course you are agreeing to these terms.