During the course, we will show you how to handle the hens and maintain an Eglu and other hen houses (ours is nearly 15 years old and looks as good as new). You’ll also learn how to look after the run. Ours survived having a horse sit on it. Plus, there are daily routines and health checks to get to grips with.
We have an Eglu Cube and a selection of wooden hen houses for use during the chicken keeping course. We have 25 resident hens at home, a mixture of hybrids and pure breeds aged six months to six years old. During the school holidays, the numbers swell to over 150 hens, so there are plenty of hens to hug.
Some of the areas we cover during the chicken keeping course are:
- See an Eglu and find out how it works
- Handle some chickens
- Eggs and laying
- Learn how to pick a suitable garden spot
- Daily care and maintenance requirements
- How to feed your chickens*
- Health, well-being and observation of looks and behaviour
- Wing clipping
- Have a chance to ask as many questions as you want over a cuppa and a slice of cake.
* The hosts of this course accept no responsibility for any loss or injury while on the premises. By booking this course, you are agreeing to these terms.